The indicator refers to the number of parties (=countries that have ratified, accepted, approved or accessed), to the following Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs):
1. The Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal (Basel Convention);
2. The Rotterdam Convention on the prior informed consent procedure for certain hazardous chemicals and pesticides in international trade (Rotterdam Convention);
3. The Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants (Stockholm Convention);
4. The Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer (Montreal Protocol);
5. Minamata Convention on Mercury (Minamata Convention),
Which have submitted the information to the Secretariat of each MEA, as required by each of the agreements.
Metadata: https://environmentlive.unep.org/indicator/index/12_4_1, https://unstats.un.org/sdgs/metadata/files/Metadata-12-04-01.pdf